22 May 2017 - Google Custom Search keys now fully supported.
5 December 2016 - new users must sign up for a Cognitive Services Key rather than an Azure key for Bing searches. Azure keys no longer work.
24 November 2016 - bug fix for YouTube user info.
Five different indicators can be calculated to estimate the average impact of a set of documents - including world normalised indicators. These are described in the book: Web indicators for research evaluation: A practical guide.
8 August 2016 - bug fix for the Mendeley API; Introduction of MLNCS and NPC reports to compare impact between groups.
Carlos Vílchez-Román has noticed that the -site: command no longer works in Bing - although it seems to work normally in the API - so there may be some false matches in the web impact reports.
The book Introduction to Webometrics is useful for Webometric Analyst - but please download the updated, extended Webometrics and social web research methods [free in-progress draft copy].
Webometric Analyst replaces hyperlink searches with URL Citation searches (see documentation) and (optionally) with title mention searches. See an evaluation of title searches and URL citation searches.
Webometric Analyst can process logical OR searches by submitting multiple queries and combining the results.
Webometric Analyst 2.0
For automatic Web searches in Webometric Analyst, please sign up for a Bing Cognitive Services key first.
Webometric Analyst uses URL citations or title mentions instead of hyperlink searches for network diagrams, link impact reports, and web environment networks. See also the discussion of link analysis in Webometric Analyst.
- Altmetric / alternative metric data sources: Facilities to get data from Mendeley (reference manager), Altmetric.com (altmetrics), Google Books, and WorldCat. Also syllabus mention searches, patent citation searches, presentation citation searches, grey literature searches, web citation and URL citation searches from the general web. [See also the social web data sources below].
- *New* Instructions for citation, web, Mendeley and alternative indicator calculations for research evaluations.
- Social web data sources: YouTube [see also network example], Twitter [see also networks, Twitter images, Tumblr images and timelines] and Flickr.
- Downloading and counting tweeted images or Tumblr images. Downloading Google Image Search images.
- Web Impact Reports of the number of times each of a set of words, phrases or documents have been mentioned online [What's this?]
- Link (cite) Impact Reports of the number of web pages and web sites that cite one or more web sites or pages [What's this?]
- Network diagrams of the (cite) links between a collection of web sites [What's this?] or Twitter conversations, or YouTube commenters.
- Web Environment Networks of an individual web site [what's this?] [see examples]
- Specialised services, such as basic plagiarism detection.
Overview: Webometric Analyst analyses the web impact of documents or web sites and creates network diagrams of collections of web sites, as well as creating networks and time series analysis of social web sites (e.g., YouTube, Twitter) and some specialist web sites (e.g., Google Books, Mendeley). It automatically submits queries to search engines and other sites and process the results. For an overview, see Introduction to Webometric Analyst 2.0. See the following papers for a comparison of link counting methods:
- Thelwall, M. & Sud, P. (2011). A comparison of methods for collecting web citation data for academic organisations. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 62(8), 1488–1497.
- Thelwall, M., Sud, P., & Wilkinson, D. (2012). Link and co-inlink network diagrams with URL citations or title mentions. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 63(4),805-816.
- Thelwall, M., & Sud, P. (2012). Webometric research with the Bing Search API 2.0. Journal of Informetrics, 6(1), 44-52.
** Download the free Webometric Analyst 2.0 software. **
- Installation instructions
- Basic Webometric Analyst 2.0 use instructions with wizards
- Standard Webometric Analyst 2.0 use instructions with the classic interface
- Introductory booklet about Webometric Analyst 2.0: Gives an overview but not specific instructions.
- Advanced Webometric Analyst 2.0 use instructions
- YouTube search instructions
- Twitter data collection, Twitter network analysis and Twitter time series analysis (bottom of page)
- Comparing search markets or Using multiple search markets for a single search
- Information about the network drawing component
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Spam removal from link results
- Korean Manual from Han Woo Park.
See the Webometric Analyst blog for more information and to report bugs. Note that these instructions are slightly behind the latest version of Webometric Analyst 2.0 - some of the screen shots will be different.
See also a link analysis report example for Ontario Health Promotion.
Original LexiURL Searcher (before April, 2011)
The original LexiURL Searcher was similar to Webometric Analyst but relied heavily upon hyperlink data from Yahoo! Search API, a service that Yahoo! discontinued in April 2011. The original Webometric Analyst used IP-based access to Bing but the Bing API changed in 2012 and again in 2016.